10.28.2012

Last Minute Easy Cat Ears Costume Tutorial


This isn't a crafty blog, but I came up with this quick way to make cat ears for my four month old baby's kitty costume and I figured it should be shared.  The Eat Make Grow Blog Hop is bringing out my crafty side.  I'm pretty thrilled with how adorable these kitty ears are for a Halloween costume.  We had a pumpkin carving party yesterday and she was a big hit.  I have the party menu up on Pinterest if you're more interested in the food.

To make the ears I cut the points of the collar off a black dress shirt, hand sewed them onto a black headband and then outlined with pink embroidery floss.  To make this costume work you don't need a kitty face onesie, a black shirt would work just as well.  Use eyeliner to draw on whiskers and pink lipstick on the nose and you're good to go.  If you have a little one, I'm not sure at what age make-up is safe.  I'll leave that up to you to figure out.

Here's how I made the kitty ears. 


These are the materials:


  1. Black headband
  2. Black dress shirt with collar to cut up
  3. Pink embroidery floss
  4. Black thread
  5. Scissors
  6. 1 needle for embroidery, 1 for thread
I got the dress shirt from a thrift store for 50 cents.  The baby headbands were a couple bucks for a multi-color pack of six from a drug store.  The pink embroidery floss and black thread I had on hand.  


Since I didn't think about writing this up as a tute I didn't take any pictures as I was making it, but you can see above how the ear is made by cutting off the point of the collar.  It works great because they are already  finished.  


Then I hand sewed the ears on to the headband with the black thread.  I eyeballed where the ears should be by putting the headband on the baby and marking with a straight pin.  The ears will curl forward on their own because of the curve of the head.  

Then I took the pink embroidery floss and outlined with big loose stitches.  That's it.  Not difficult if you can get a hold of the materials.  Start to finish it took me about 10 minutes once I had everything I needed. I actually did it while nursing the baby right before the party started. 


Here's the whole costume:


She had some green legging.  She didn't need them because it wasn't that cold.

9 comments:

  1. Cutes patoots! We'll make a crafter out of you yet!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Fun project! And cute baby to boot!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Love it!
    And that menu sounds delish. :)
    How was Halloween, Foy?

    ReplyDelete
  4. So adorable! Thanks so much for sharing it with us at ‘Or so she says…’. I would love to have you back again to share even more of your great ideas. There’s a link party kicking off in the morning (every Sat. through Tues.) Hope to see you there! www.oneshetwoshe.com

    ReplyDelete
  5. How cute is that?! Easy and fun project--thanks for sharing on Hearth & Soul Hop. :)

    ReplyDelete
  6. Whenever you add animal accessories or costumes to a baby, it's going to be CUTE! That's just a simple fact right there. Just like these giraffe costume, they are the perfect Halloween costumes for kids and toddlers. Easy to wear and very affordable.

    ReplyDelete
  7. This is so cute!

    I would love for you to link up at the Empty Your Archive party which has children's clothes as one of it's themes this week - Alice @ Mums Make Lists x

    ReplyDelete